Radiological ionic contrast media (By mouth)
Makes parts of your body show up better during an imaging test, such as an X-ray or CT scan.
Gastrografin, MD-Gastroview, Hypaque SodiumThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not be given this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to any of the ingredients. If you are not sure what the ingredients are, ask your doctor or healthcare provider.
How to Use This Medicine:
Capsule, Solution, Tablet, Powder for Suspension, Powder for Solution
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you when it should be given to you.
- You will be given this medicine before your imaging test is preformed.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding, or if you have severe liver disease or severe kidney disease. Make sure your doctor knows if you have problems with your esophagus, or if you have thyroid problems.
- Make sure any doctor or dentist who treats you knows that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect the results of certain medical tests.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing.
- Very fast or uneven heartbeat.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild dizziness.
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or stomach pain.
- Heart burn.
- Itchy skin, rash, or hives.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/4/2011
Copyright © 1984- Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.