Fluorescein/proparacaine (Into the eye)
Fluorescein (FLURE-a-seen), Proparacaine (proe-PAR-a-kane)
This medicine is used to numb and stain your eyes. Helps your doctor to view your eye during eye exams and procedures.
Flucaine, Fluoracaine, FluorocaineThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to fluorescein or proparacaine.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
- This medicine is placed directly onto the surface of your eye as a drop.
- Remove your contact lenses before receiving this medicine.
- You may be required to wear an eye patch for a few days to protect your eye after receiving this medicine. Talk to your doctor about this. Avoid touching your eye until the effect of this medicine has worn off.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using any other eye medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have allergies, heart disease, or an overactive thyroid gland.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you wear contact lenses.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing.
- Severe pain or swelling of your eyes.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Blurred vision.
- Burning or redness in your eyes.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/4/2011
Copyright © 1984- Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.