Sodium chromate cr 51 (Injection)
Sodium Chromate Cr 51 (SOE-dee-um KROE-mate Cr 51)
Used during certain medical tests of the blood. This medicine is radioactive substance.
Chromitope SodiumThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to sodium chromate Cr 51. If you are breastfeeding an infant, you may need to stop breastfeeding for a short time after receiving this medicine. Talk to your doctor about the length of time you need to formula feed your baby.
How to Use This Medicine:
- This medicine is mixed with a small amount of blood that is drawn from one of your veins. The blood and medicine mixture is then injected into your body through a needle placed in one of your veins.
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant.
- While using this medicine, you will be exposed to radiation. Talk to your doctor about the risks and about precautions you need to take.
- If blood is removed from your body and given back to you during your test, there is a chance that the blood could cause an infection. Although the risk is low, talk with your doctor if you have concerns.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Redness, pain, or swelling at the site where the medicine is given.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/4/2011
Copyright © 1984- Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.