Barium sulfate (By mouth)
Used as a part of test. Helps your doctor to see diseases in your stomach and intestines with the help of an x-ray or CAT scan machine.
Readi-Cat 2, Volumen, E-Z-DISKThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to barium, or if the medicine is given by enema, you should not get this medicine if you are allergic to latex. You should not receive this medicine if you have certain diseases of the stomach or intestines. Your child should not receive this medicine if your child has disease of the intestine or problems with swallowing.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
- This medicine is given to you by mouth just before you have a CT scan or x-ray test.
- This medicine will help your doctor see where disease is in your stomach or intestines .
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have asthma, high blood pressure, or heart disease.
- Make sure that your doctor knows if your child has cystic fibrosis or Hirschprungs's disease
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing.
- Chest pain, shortness of breath, or coughing up blood.
- Pale skin and blue lips or fingernails.
- Fast or slow heartbeat.
- Fever, chills, cough, or trouble breathing.
- Lightheadedness or fainting.
- Sudden, severe stomach pain, nausea, vomiting with fever.
- Warmth or redness in your face, neck, arms, or upper chest.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Confusion, feeling anxious, or agitated.
- Increased sweating.
- Mild skin rash or itching.
- Ringing in ears or weakness of your body.
- Running or stuffy nose.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/4/2011
Copyright © 1984- Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.