Relaxes your muscles and makes you sleepy while you are on a ventilator or during intubation (having a breathing tube put into your throat). Also used before or during surgery or other procedures.
PrecedexThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to dexmedetomidine.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given through a needle placed in one of your veins.
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Tell your doctor if you are using any medicines that make you sleepy. These include sleeping pills, cold and allergy medicine, narcotic pain relievers, and sedatives.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have diabetes, heart disease, high or low blood pressure, low blood volume, or liver disease.
- Tell your doctor about any side effects you have after you stop receiving the medicine. This includes nervousness, chest pain, pounding heartbeat, trouble sleeping, shaking or trembling of the hands, stomach cramps, or sweating.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing.
- Irregular, fast, or slow heartbeat, or increase in blood pressure.
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting.
- Nervousness, agitation, or headache.
- Severe cough or trouble breathing.
- Severe vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, or nausea.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Blurred vision or speech problems.
- Decrease in how much or how often you urinate.
- Dry mouth, thirst, or tingling in your mouth.
- Increased sweating.
- Mild stomach pain, nausea, diarrhea, constipation, or loss of appetite.
- Pale skin or bluish-colored lips.
- Unusual behavior, restlessness, confusion, or anger.
- Weight loss.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/4/2011
Copyright © 1984- Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.