Camphor/menthol (On the skin)
Camphor (KAM-for), Menthol (MEN-thol)
Treats minor aches and pains in muscles and joints due to arthritis, backache, strains, or sprains.
Sarna, Biofreeze, Dr. Blaine's Ortho-Nesic, Orthogel, Biofreeze Pain Relieving Gel, Ortho-Nesic, Sore No More, Sombra, Sombra Natural Pain Relieving, Osco Chest Rub Medication, Mentholatum, Tiger Balm Ultra, Tiger Balm, Tiger Balm Arthritis Rub, Men-PhorThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to menthol or camphor.
How to Use This Medicine:
Cream, Stick, Lotion, Gel/Jelly, Ointment
- This medicine is for use on the skin only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. Do not use it on skin areas that have cuts or scrapes. If it does get on these areas, rinse it off right away.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after using this medicine.
- Apply a thin layer to the affected area. Rub it in gently.
- Do not cover the treated area with a bandage unless your doctor has told you to.
- Do not use this medicine with a heating pad or device unless your doctor tells you to.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of the used medicine container and any leftover medicine after you have finished your treatment. You will also need to throw away old medicine after the expiration date has passed.
- Keep all medicine away from children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use cosmetics or other skin care products on the treated skin areas.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding, or if you have sensitive skin.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse, call your doctor.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Skin rash, itching, redness, or swelling.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Return of your symptoms a few days after they have cleared up.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/4/2011
Copyright © 1984- Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.