Guaifenesin/potassium guaiacolsulfonate (By mouth)
Guaifenesin (gwye-FEN-e-sin), Potassium Guaiacolsulfonate
Treats cough that is caused by colds, flu, bronchitis, asthma, or other conditions. This medicine is an expectorant that loosens mucus in your lungs.
Humibid L.A.There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to guaifenesin or potssium guaiacolsulfonate. Do not give any over-the-counter (OTC) cough and cold medicine to a baby or child under 4 years old. Using these medicines in very young children might cause serious or possibly life-threatening side effects.
How to Use This Medicine:
Long Acting Tablet
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- The usual dose of this medicine is one tablet every 12 hours. Do not use more than 2 tablets within 24 hours.
- Swallow the extended-release tablet whole. Do not crush, break, or chew it.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease or kidney stones.
- Make sure any doctor or dentist who treats you knows that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect the results of certain medical tests.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Cough that lasts longer than 7 days.
- Cough with fever, skin rash, or ongoing headache.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild skin rash or itching.
- Nausea, vomiting, upset stomach.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/4/2011
Copyright © 1984- Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.