Hydroxyzine Hydrochloride (hye-DROX-i-zeen hye-droe-KLOR-ide)
Treats anxiety, tension, severe agitation, nausea and vomiting, allergies, skin rash, hives, and itching. Also treats alcohol withdrawal, and anxiety or tension before surgery. This medicine is an antihistamine.
Vistacot, RestallThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to hydroxyzine. Do not use this medicine if you are pregnant.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given as a shot into one of your muscles.
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Tell your doctor if you are using any medicines that make you sleepy. These include sleeping pills, cold and allergy medicine, narcotic pain relievers, and sedatives.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Using this medicine while you are pregnant can harm your unborn baby. Use an effective form of birth control to keep from getting pregnant. If you think you have become pregnant while using the medicine, tell your doctor right away.
- This medicine may make you drowsy. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Pain, swelling, redness, or tenderness where the shot is given.
- Twitching or muscle movements you cannot control.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dry mouth.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/4/2011
Copyright © 1984- Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.