Olmesartan (By mouth)
Olmesartan Medoxomil (ol-me-SAR-tan me-DOX-oh-mil)
Treats high blood pressure.
BenicarThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medication if you have had an allergic reaction to olmesartan, or if you are pregnant.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Your dose may need to be changed several times in order to find out what works best for you. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- You may take this medicine with or without food.
- Carefully follow your doctor's instructions about any special diet.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using diuretics or "water pills" (such as furosemide, hydrochlorothiazide, Aldactazide®, Aldactone®, Dyazide®, Hyzaar®, Lasix®, Maxzide®, Moduretic®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Using this medicine while you are pregnant can harm your unborn baby. Use an effective form of birth control to keep from getting pregnant. If you think you have become pregnant while using the medicine, tell your doctor right away.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are breast feeding, or if you have kidney disease or congestive heart failure.
- If you stop using this medicine, your blood pressure may go up. High blood pressure usually has no symptoms. Even if you feel well, do not stop using the medicine without asking your doctor.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing.
- Blood in your urine.
- Changes in how much or how often you urinate.
- Chest pain (may be related to your disease and not a side effect).
- Fast or slow heartbeat.
- Lightheadedness or fainting.
- Muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness.
- Swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Back pain, headache.
- Cough, stuffy or runny nose, sore throat.
- Muscle or joint pain.
- Nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, loss of appetite, pain in the upper stomach.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/4/2011
Copyright © 1984- Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.