Treats anxiety, nausea, and vomiting before and after surgical and diagnostic procedures.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to droperidol.
How to Use This Medicine:
- You will be given this medicine while you are in a hospital or clinic as part of the procedure you are having.
- An intravenous (in-tra-VEEN-us) or IV injection is given through a tube put in one of your veins, usually in your arm, wrist, hand or sometimes in your chest.
- An intramuscular (in-tra-MUS-kyoo-lar) or IM injection is a shot given in the muscle of your upper arm, thigh, or buttocks.
- A nurse or other caregiver trained to give injections will give your treatment.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Tell your doctor if you use alcohol, sleeping pills, cold or allergy medicines, or any other medicines that make you sleepy or drowsy, especially if you have taken this type of medicine in the days or hours before your procedure.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before receiving this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have kidney or liver disease, or pheochromocytoma.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Fainting, weakness, and slow heartbeat
- Fast or irregular heartbeat
- Rash, hives, or itching
- Tremors, shaking, stiffness, or body movements that are hard to control
- Wheezing or trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Restlessness, hyperactivity, and anxiety
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/4/2011
Copyright © 1984- Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.