Fosfomycin (By mouth)
Treats urinary tract infections (UTI).
MonurolThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to fosfomycin.
How to Use This Medicine:
- The medicine is an orange-flavored powder that must be mixed with water before using. Never swallow the medicine in its dry form.
- Open the packet and pour all of the powder into 3 or 4 ounces (1/2 cup) of water. You should not use hot water.
- Stir until the powder is dissolved, and drink the medicine right away.
- You may take fosfomycin with or without food.
If a dose is missed:
- You should only use one dose of the medicine to treat your UTI.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the packet of medicine at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using any medicine that causes food to move more quickly through your stomach, such as metoclopramide (Reglan®) or cisapride (Propulsid®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before using this medicine.
- Tell your doctor if you have kidney disease before using this medicine.
- Only one dose of this medicine is needed to treat your UTI. The medicine stays in your body for about 3 1/2 days to fight the infection.
- If symptoms are not better after 2 or 3 days, tell your doctor.
- Drink plenty of liquids, especially cranberry juice and water, to help clear up your infection.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Rash or hives
- Swelling of face, throat, or lips
- Wheezing or trouble breathing
- Chest tightness, fast heartbeat
- Unexplained fever, chills, or sore throat
- Vision changes
- Yellowing of skin or eyes
- Severe stomach pain
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Nausea, upset stomach
- Vaginal pain or discharge
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/4/2011
Copyright © 1984- Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.