Paromomycin (By mouth)
Treats infections caused by a parasite in your stomach or bowels. Belongs to a class of drugs called aminoglycoside antibiotics.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to paromomycin. You should not use this medicine if you have a blockage in your bowels.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to take and how often.
- This medicine should be taken on a regular schedule. Keep taking the medicine for as long as your doctor ordered, even if you feel better. If you stop taking the medicine too soon, your infection may not completely go away.
- You may take this medicine with food or after a meal.
If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible, unless it is almost time for your next dose.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next regular dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the capsules at room temperature away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have stomach or bowel problems (such as ulcerative colitis) or myasthenia gravis before taking paromomycin.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Severe on-going diarrhea
- Hearing loss, ringing, or pressure in your ears
- Urinating less than one cup in a day
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Nausea, stomach cramps
- Mild diarrhea
- Itching around your rectum
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/4/2011
Copyright © 1984- Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.