Dapsone (By mouth)
Treats leprosy and a skin problem called dermatitis herpetiformis. Sometimes used to treat malaria and AIDS-related pneumonia. Belongs to a class of drugs called sulfone antibiotics.
DapsoneThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to dapsone.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Take this medicine exactly as ordered by your doctor.
- May be taken with food to reduce stomach upset.
If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store at room temperature in a closed container, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking dapsone.
- Check with your doctor before taking dapsone if you have anemia, or liver or kidney disease.
- Tell your doctor if you are allergic to sulfa drugs.
- Your doctor may give you a schedule for regular blood tests. This schedule should be carefully followed.
- Dapsone may make you dizzy. Be careful when driving a car or using machinery.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Severe skin rash
- Fever, sore throat
- Muscle weakness
- Yellowing of skin or eyes
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Nausea, vomiting
- Loss of appetite
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/4/2011
Copyright © 1984- Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.