Ergotamine/belladonna alkaloids/phenobarbital (By mouth)
Belladonna Alkaloids (bell-a-DON-a AL-ka-loyds), Ergotamine (er-GOT-a-meen), Phenobarbital (fee-noe-BAR-bi-tal)
Treats symptoms of menopause (such as hot flashes or sweating), certain stomach problems (such as spasms or cramps), and throbbing headaches.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to ergotamine, belladonna alkaloids, or barbiturates. You should not use if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. You should not take this medicine if you have heart disease, circulation problems, high blood pressure, kidney or liver disease, glaucoma, or porphyria.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to take and how often.
- Do not stop taking this medicine suddenly without first talking with your doctor. You may need to take smaller and smaller doses before stopping completely.
If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next regular dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are taking blood thinners (Coumadin®), antidepressants (such as Elavil®), beta blockers (such as Inderal®), birth control pills, or seizure medicine (such as Dilantin® or Depakene®).
- Avoid drinking alcohol.
- Avoid taking drugs that can make you sleepy such as cold or allergy medicine, sleeping pills, sedatives, muscle relaxants, tranquilizers, or narcotic pain killers while taking this medicine.
- Avoid smoking while you are taking this medicine. Smoking may increase the side effects of this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Check with doctor before taking this medicine if you have asthma or trouble with urination.
- This medicine may be habit-forming, especially if large doses are taken for long periods of time.
- This medicine may cause drowsiness or blurred vision. If it does, avoid driving or using dangerous machinery.
- While taking this medicine, you might become more sensitive to hot and cold temperatures. Dress warmly in cold weather and don't stay outside too long. Avoid becoming overheated during hot weather.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Numb, painful, tingling, or cold hands or feet
- Muscle pain in the arms or legs
- Fast or pounding heartbeat
- Chest pain
- Severe nausea and vomiting
- Trouble urinating
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dry mouth
- Vision changes such as trouble focusing
- Mild dizziness or drowsiness
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/4/2011
Copyright © 1984- Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.