Erythromycin/sulfisoxazole (By mouth)
Erythromycin Ethylsuccinate (e-rith-roe-MYE-sin eth-il-SUX-i-nate), Sulfisoxazole Acetyl (sul-fi-SOX-a-zole A-se-teel)
Pediazole, E.S.P.There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine should not be taken if you have had an allergic reaction to erythromycin or any sulfa medicine.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Shake well before each use.
- Measure the dose using a measuring spoon or dropper.
- Drink plenty of water or liquids while taking this medicine.
- It may be taken with food to avoid stomach upset.
- The medicine should be taken until it is all gone, or as long as your doctor has told you to, even if you feel better.
If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible.
- Take the rest of the doses for the day at times spaced evenly apart.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Keep the medicine in the refrigerator. Throw away any unused medicine after 14 days.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are taking blood thinners such as Coumadin®, Seldane®, Hismanal®, theophylline, or seizure medicines such as Dilantin® or Tegretol®.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Contact your doctor right away if you develop a skin rash or itching while taking this medicine.
- This medicine may cause the skin to be more sensitive to sunlight. Stay out of the sun, or use a sunscreen.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Itching, rash, or hives
- Difficulty breathing or wheezing
- Swelling of the face, throat, or tongue
- Severe or bloody diarrhea
- Yellow skin or eyes
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Upset stomach or nausea.
- Sore mouth or tongue
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/4/2011
Copyright © 1984- Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.