What is it?
Rhatany root is an herbal medicine that is used by mouth for diarrhea or as a mouthwash or gargle for gingivitis and sore throat. It is also used on the skin for hemorrhoids or to stop a wound from bleeding.
Other names for Rhatany root include: Krameria, Peruvian Rhatany, Rhatanhiawurzel, Rote Ratanhia, Panacuchu, Peru-Ratanhia, and Racine de Ratanhia.
Ask your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist if you need more information about this medicine or if any information in this leaflet concerns you.
Tell your doctor if you
- are taking medicine or are allergic to any medicine (prescription or over-the-counter (OTC) or dietary supplement)
- are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using this medicine
- are breastfeeding
- have any other health problems, such as high blood pressure or heart or blood vessel disease
Talk with your caregiver about how much Rhatany root you should take. The amount depends on the strength of the medicine and the reason you are taking Rhatany root. If you are using this medicine without instructions from your caregiver, follow the directions on the medicine bottle. Do not take more medicine or take it more often than the directions tell you to.
To store this medicine:
Keep all medicine locked up and away from children. Store medicine away from heat and direct light. Do not store your medicine in the bathroom, near the kitchen sink, or in other damp places. Heat or moisture may cause the medicine to break down and not work the way it should work. Throw away medicine that is out of date or that you do not need. Never share your medicine with others.
- Before taking Rhatany Root, tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding
- Do not use for longer than 2 weeks without a doctor's advice (3)
Stop taking your medicine right away and talk to your doctor if you have any of the following side effects. Your medicine may be causing these symptoms which may mean you are allergic to it.
- Breathing problems or tightness in your throat or chest
- Chest pain
- Skin hives, rash, or itchy or swollen skin
Other Side Effects:
You may have the following side effects, but this medicine may also cause other side effects. Tell your doctor if you have side effects that you think are caused by this medicine.
- Redness and soreness of the inside of the mouth has occurred when used as a mouth wash (1)
- Taking too much may cause liver problems (2)
1. Bradley PR (ed): British Herbal Compendium, Vol. 1: a handbook of scientific information on widely used plant drugs. British Herbal Medicine Association, Bournemouth, Dorset, UK; 1992.
2. Fetrow C & Avila J: Professional's Handbook of Complementary and Alternative Medicines. Springhouse Corporation, Springhouse, PA; 1999.
3. Blumenthal, Busse, Goldberg et al: The Complete German Commission E Monographs: Therapeutic guide to herbal medicines. The American Botanical Council, Austin, TX; 1998.
Last Updated: 1/4/2011