Methodist Hospital and the Faith Community
Methodist Hospital's Health Ministries (Parish Nurse) Program develops and supports holistic health programs in faith communities. The program is designed to enhance the ability of faith communities to promote health - body, mind and spirit - to individuals, families, groups and the community. Methodist Hospital provides education, information and resources in the areas of disease prevention and wellness promotion to improve the health of our community.
How does the Health Ministries Program Work?
Methodist Hospital helps each interested faith community establish a health cabinet and select a health minister (Parish Nurse). Based on a health needs assessment of each faith community, an individualized program is developed to care for the "whole" person. The parish nurse does not provide "hands-on" care. Their role includes education, health counseling, referral, training of volunteers and translating the relationship between faith and health.
Methodist Hospital's Commitment
- As a healthcare leader, provide assistance and consultation in organizing health cabinets/ministries.
- Offer training and ongoing education for clergy, parish nurses, health cabinet members and faith community members.
- Provide resources and written materials to support the health ministries program.
- Provide referrals to healthcare providers and community resources.
- Assist with coordination of health education, health fairs, screening programs and immunization clinics.
The Faith Community's Commitment
- Establish a health cabinet, composed of community members interested in maintaining the health of their faith community, to develop, direct and oversee the health ministries program.
- Select a Parish Nurse in collaboration with the hospital and health cabinet, to coordinate the program, conduct the needs assessment and provide health education.
- Provide adequate office space for the Parish Nurse and volunteers to work.
The Program's Benefits
The Health Ministries Program enhances understanding of the body and spirit connection through:
- Education programs to promote a healthy lifestyle.
- Support groups to address specific health issues.
- Links to other health and community resources.
- Health screenings, immunizations and counseling.
- Training of volunteers for home visitation.
- Response to our community's health needs.
For more information please contact:
Health Ministries Manager
Community Outreach Department
300 W. Huntington Drive
Arcadia, CA 91007